The Lynn Stuart Weiss lecture was established by Drs. Raymond A. and Rosalee G. Weiss, in memory of their daughter, Lynn, a promising young scholar whose interests centered on the science and art of politics, with a focus on world law. The award rotates among APA Division 9 (Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues), APA Division 41 (American Psychology-Law Society), APA Division 48 (Society for the Study of Peace, Conflict, and Violence: Peace Psychology Division), and APA Division 52 (International Psychology). The fund was set up to support an annual lecture given at the APA convention in memory of Lynn Stuart Weiss. Additional information can be found on the APF website: http://www.apa.org/apf/funding/lweiss.aspx?tab=1. This program was established in 1999 by an endowed fund through the American Psychological Foundation (APF).
Divison 52 has the honor of submitting the nominee for the 2018 Lynn Stuart Weiss Lecture at the APA Convention in San Francisco, CA.
Nominees should be qualified to address the science and art of politics with a focus on world law toward the goal of furthering world peace. Nominees do not need to be Divison 52 members.
Nominations of others need to include:
- Nominator's name and contact information
- Nominee's name and contact information
- A statement of the relevance of the nominee’s work to this specific honorary lecturer appointment (100 words or less).
- The statement should address
- how the nominee’s work is relevant to issues addressed by the all the four Divisions that rotate providing nominations: Division 9 – Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues; Division 41 – American Psychological-Law Society; Division 48 – Society for the Study of Peace, Conflict and Violence: Peace Psychology; and Division 52 – International Psychology (special emphasis this year on the International Divison).
- the nominee’s work that addresses furthering world peace
- the nominee's speaking experience and engagement
- Nominee’s curriculum vitae (CV)
The deadline for submission of nominations is August 1, 2017 for the 2018 Lynn Stuart Weiss lecturer for the APA Convention in San Francisco, CA.
The name of the selected nominee from Division 52 is forwarded to CODAPAR who formally nominates her/him to APF. The selected speaker nominated for 2018 by APA Division 52 Internatoinal Psychology will receive a $1,000 honorarium. APF will provide a printed brochure to be disseminated that includes information on Lynn Stuart Weiss and the selected speaker.
We look forward to receiving your nominations.